Entering The World Of Work
Preparing the young to enter the world of work and how to be an excellent employee
What is this course about?
Starting a new job can be a daunting prospect and a time when we need support and reassurance and we navigate the bridge between academia and business. This How to prepare for your first job training is about helping you develop the skills and confidence necessary to be an excellent employee and succeed in the workplace.
Who is this course for?
This course is for all young people embarking on their first job, be it an apprenticeship, work experience or internship. It can form part of:
- a school’s career guidance programme
- an induction programme in organisations committed to employing young people
- student mentoring programme
InterCHANGE can discuss your particular requirements and objectives for supporting young people on their path into work.
How will the organisation benefit?
Employing young people and supporting them to flourish and achieve their goals can be both rewarding and good for business. Given the right opportunity and encouragement young people often bring a rush of new energy and fresh ideas into the workplace which, in turn, can help your organisation grow.
What will you learn on the course? – a typical course content
You will be able to:
- Make the transition from student to employee
- Build professional relationships
- Understand and observe general office etiquette
- Learn simple and effective self-management techniques
- Achieve the hall marks of an excellent employee – punctuality, well – presented and completing tasks on time to required standards
- Working in teams to achieve common goals
- Be taken seriously and voicing ideas and suggestions
- Ask for help and know who to ask
- Budget well and managing a salary
- Develop a self-reflective practice to support your continual improvement