Peer Mentoring Skills Programme For Students
Developing student mentors to support their peers
What is the Peer Mentoring Skills Programme For Students about?
This peer mentoring skills training for students is about learning how to mentor others which, in turn, will help young people grow in confidence and boost their employability. Students will learn how to use their mentoring skills to inspire their peers and broaden their aspirations, improve their study skills, explore frustrations and difficulties and perform well in exams.
Who is the Peer Mentoring Skills Programme For Students for?
This Student Peer Mentoring skills training is for all young people who want to participate in a peer mentoring programme. InterCHANGE will discuss with each school their particular requirements and objectives for the peer mentoring programme to ensure specific learning needs are addressed.
How will the organisation benefit?
The benefits of mentoring in schools, both peer and adult to student, have been well documented and include increased confidence, raised aspiration, improved employability and better academic achievement.
What will you learn on the course? – a typical course content
You will be able to:
- Understand what is involved in a peer mentoring programme?
- Establish boundaries, confidentiality and structure for peer mentor sessions
- Maintain an assertive and positive relationship with your peer mentee
- Setting achievable and measurable goals
- Explore and practice a range of communication skills and mentoring models to maximise peer student learning
- Reflect on different learning styles
- Give feedback and address concerns
- Ensure the process is positive and motivating
- Explore 10 characteristics of a great mentor
- Develop self-reflective skills to help assessment and continual improvement